Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation




Hello everyone! As a beauty blogger, I am constantly looking for new foundations to try. I personally suffer from acne, acne scarring, an oily T-zone, and dry cheeks so it is hard for me to find a foundation that will cover my problem areas, control the oily areas of my face, and be moisturizing enough to help with my dry areas. In my search I came upon the Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation. I heard so many good things about it so I decided to give it a try. I have owned this for about 7-8 months now and I finally want to review it!



                                                                        Product Information                                                       

Product:
 Lock-It Foundation
Brand:
 Kat Von D
Price:
 $34
Color:
 Shade #46
Texture/Finish:
This foundation is neither matte nor dewy; it is closer to a satin finish. The texture is a bit thick, kind of like a creme foundation.
Pigmentation:
 This is definitely a full coverage foundation, although you can sheer it out to medium coverage. You could also use this as a spot concealer.
Application:
 I prefer to apply this with a dense flat-top brush. I would also recommend a beauty blender sponge. I would only use my fingers if I was going to use it as a concealer.
Wear (comfort):
This does not feel very heavy on the skin, which is great!
Wear (time):
 This lasts all day for me. I don't have super oily skin though. You might need to blot or powder your oily areas slightly because after a few hours you might get a little oily. I notice that my nose gets a little oily after about 5-6 hours of wear. If you use a primer underneath and powder your super oily areas, you should be fine for most of the day.
Dupes? Similar products?:
 Hm, the closest foundation I have used to this is the Revlon ColorStay Foundation. Even so, they are really different.

                                                                               Review                                                                       

Let's just break this into a list of pros and cons~

PROS:
-awesome packaging; the bottle is super durable and travel-friendly
-the bottle has a sanitary pump
-the foundation is super pigmented and will cover most imperfections
-the foundation has a satin finish which makes it great for people with combination skin
-long-lasting 
-look amazing in photographs or for nights out (no SPF)
-has a very silky and smooth finish
-has a very lightweight feel even though it is full-coverage
-this is probably just me, but I like the smell of the foundation. It smells like cinnamon.

CONS:
-a little pricey for those who are used to drugstore foundations
-the color range selection could be better (I think they have added some new shades recently)
-Those who have super dry or super oily skin will need to use other products to make this foundation work well  (dry skin people should use the Kat Von D Rehab Priming Elixir underneath this foundation, that's what I do/ oily skin people should use a setting powder over the most oily areas of the skin)
-can look a little cakey and streaky if you are not careful
-the smell of the foundation might bother some of you

So, overall, I really like this foundation. I do not really like it as an everyday foundation though; I think the coverage is too high for a natural look during the day. It does, however, make an excellent concealer for day-time under a light coverage foundation. For night though, this is freaking awesome! It has no SPF so it will look amazing in photographs! It is long-lasting, so it will be great for a night out (and you don't have to worry to much about touching up your foundation). 

I have to be careful with this foundation because I have dry skin around my cheeks and jawline. I use the Rehab Priming Elixir under this to help prevent dry patches. I have made the mistake of putting too much of the foundation on and not blending it thoroughly enough which resulted in my skin looking cakey and streaky. Work the foundation into the skin really well a little bit at a time. You can always add more foundation where you need it instead of piling it on all at once.


                                                                     Product in Action                                                               

Here is shade #46 on my hand. This shade is not the best for me. It is too pink and it makes my skin look a little ashy. When I bought the foundation, this was the best color match for me though. Now, I think there is a new shade that would suit my skin better (I think it's #45).


I also was wearing this foundation in the photos below:



                                                                              Verdict                                                                       
 I like this foundation because it can be used as both a foundation and a concealer. I do not like this for day-time wear, but I do love it for special occasions and nights out. It does not have SPF so it is great for photographs! I would be careful about choosing the right shade and making sure you did not cake the foundation on because then it looks really weird on the skin (trust me, I know from experience xD) I would recommend going into Sephora and getting a sample to try it out before you decided to purchase it.
Even though it has some flaws, this is still the best high coverage foundation I have ever tried. 
Would I Repurchase? Yes, although I would get a different shade because #46 isn't the best match for me. 
Rating: 8.5/10



12 comments:

  1. Kat Von D products are always so pretty, with their signature black lace patterns. :D High coverage sounds good! Unfortunately, my local Sephora doesn't carry the whole range of KVD products, so I don't think i'll have the chance to try this foundation. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes D:

      Hopefully they get the whole KVD range!

      Delete
  2. Lovely review - love how honest you are!

    Emma x
    http://beautyandrags.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah thanks for both posts! they are just what i wanted to see :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this foundation~ it was actually my first "brand" purchase of foundation at Sephora after tons and tons of research. It's the only foundation I've tried so far that doesn't break me out or let my oily skin shine too much at the end of a day. And I just love the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I also found that it does not break me out despite the fact that is has a high coverage. It is awesome that it also works well in terms of keeping the oil at bay~!

      Delete
  5. Ughhhh, I want to try this so bad! Looks right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment <3 I appreciate every single comment I receive ^_^