Monday, December 5, 2011

Murakami Haruki

Remember this post on Kawanabe Kyosai? I wanted to do a similar random post but this time on a Japanese author.

Just to clear things up with the Japanese name,
Surname: Murakami (村上)
First name: Haruki (春樹) 


Murakami is a Japanese writer, and one of my favorite authors of all time. He has written a number of novels and short stories. His work can be humorous, surreal, and at times, very confusing, but there is a certain depth that is very alluring. When I read his work, I am very entertained and I always want to read more.
His writing deals with many themes, and in particular deals with social issues. I hear that he is against the norm of Japanese society, which puts an emphasis on work rather than communication with others.
I highly recommend his novels, which I know are translated into English and other languages.

I can't say I have disliked any of his novels. Each one has been a pleasure to read. But if stories without a conclusive ending aren't your cup of tea, heed caution to the wind. His stories are very inconclusive, which is one of the reasons I love his work. The endings always leave you thinking, with a "WTF" expression etched on your face. I would suggest starting with his short stories just to get a taste of what his novels are like.

One of my FAVORITE of his short stories is the one called "The second bakery attack." You guys have to read it. It is odd and simply hilarious. It is a very short story, and I highly recommend that you read it. (I believe that this story was adapted to film...0_o")

My favorite novel is "The Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World." Amazing novel. If you want to read something interesting, I suggest you check it out. I mean, what is better than huddling in some warm blankets and reading a truly amazing book?



5 comments:

  1. Lately I've been curious of his books since so many bloggers read and recommend him. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the recs! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought Murakami-sensei's stories very, very eccentric, but well written. I wish I could read Japanese, as I think that the English translations don't do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of hime before but I'd love to give it a try =)I read every night before bed ^^

    xxx Vee

    ReplyDelete
  4. i shall look for this! thanks for the recommendation dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this crazy play based on his work back in college... 8 years ago... man, I'm old!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment <3 I appreciate every single comment I receive ^_^