Saturday, September 3, 2011

Kawanabe Kyosai

This is kind of a random post. I have studied a little bit of Japanese Literature and Art over the past two years and I have learned a lot of new things about Japanese culture and history. One of the things that really caught my eye was Japanese art that is related to literature (specially folklore literature). The artist that I have admired the most is Kawanabe Kyosai (1831-1889). Enjoy looking at some of his paintings~


Many of you won't know this but crows and ravens are actually my favorite animals. It is a little weird, but I have always been fascinated by them. So naturally, I was drawn by these paintings.

And going into a more creepy and eerie painting...

Creepy, right? This is a female ghost carrying the decapitated head of a man. Her facial expression just gives me the creeps! It is 5 am, and I am putting up pictures of ghosts? I am so normal...

Anyways, the point of this was to show you guys something that might be new :D I think it is really important to learn and see new things. I don't know, maybe one of you will be interested in one of these paintings and learn more about them. :D Or you can just waste a couple of minutes looking at some morbid paintings~

13 comments:

  1. They're fascinating! I don't know much about Japanese art but I love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Japanese art. Its so beautiful, the way the brush strokes are across the paper. i love these! they are a little morbid, haha, but i like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique post to find in the beauty blogosphere...
    My dear, I love your blog more and more, especially after this :)
    It's strange to see how some "pretty" girls can love a creepy painting. But I'm with you. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post :) I really have an appreciation for art, and it's nice to see it on my blogger reader from you :) I studied art history for a bit and I have to say Japanese art is so descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That female ghost painting is quite creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, I love Japanese calligraphy--it is so delicate and ornate. aaaah, where would we be without art...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeks! That painting is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you can all appreciate some morbid paintings :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. very creeeepy!!!

    (u should get the sponges!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love his work! :) japanese artists are so amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post--thanks for sharing! I especially like the creepy picture! There is so much emotion in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The picture of the women carrying a man head. I've seen a Korean Drama movie of it. It was scarey. They were lovers, she die and came back for him. Killing every women he was with and even his child. I hate the scarey scene where she was crawl on the roof. X_X talking about this is giving me the chills.. >_<!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment <3 I appreciate every single comment I receive ^_^