Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: Too Faced Exotic Color Intense Eyeshadow 'Poison Orchid'

Greetings lovelies~
I've been pretty busy with school/reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series that I have neglected reviewing products that I have wanted to review for a while. Finally, I bring you some reviews! Today's product review concerns the Too Faced eyeshadow in Poison Orchid. This is my firs Too Faced single eyeshadow which I lusted over for ages before I actually purchased it.

Price and Availability
$18. Available at Sephora, Ulta, or wherever Too Faced is sold.

Packaging 
The eyeshadow comes packaged in a small, sleek, flower-shaped container. It is cute and convenient for travel since it is so compact.




Swatch
*swatched dry on bare skin

The color is quite difficult to capture.

Here it is compared to MACs Young Punk eyeshadow. I thought they would be similar, but they are rather different.


Review

One of the main reasons why this shimmery violet shade caught my eye is because I thought it was similar to MACs Young Punk eyeshadow. Young Punk is one of my favorite eyeshadows ever, and I tend to gravitate towards things I like. But Poison Orchid is quite different. It has a slight dark base, but not as black as Young Punk. Instead of being very glittery, it is iridescent and sparkly. It is subtle in its own way, but still has some sparkle and shimmer.
With that being said, I find that I am a tad disappointed with this eyeshadow. The color is gorgeous, don't get me wrong. But I expected so much more. When I swatched the eyeshadow, a beautiful shimmery violet, almost a duo-chrome shade, appeared on my finger. But once it is applied on the lid, it is sheerer and more subtle than I expected. It takes some effort to get the color to show up well on my lid. It does have shimmer, and I find that I can get shimmer fallout when I use this. 
If you have the patience for it and you adore the color, then this might work for you. I personally will be keeping it because I can't be bothered to return it. Plus I found a way for it to work for me: Pixie Epoxy.
My one advantage is that I have Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy, which helps a lot to get this color to show up well on my eye lid. But, for $18, I would have wanted this to be pigmented on it's own. Plus, not everyone has Pixie Epoxy or something similar.
Rating: 7.5/10


Eye Looks

Here are two random looks in which I used Poison Orchid.

FT Posion Orchid, MAC Satin Taupe, MAC Rice Paper, and MAC Cranberry


Unbound Eden Cosmetics Nirnroot and FT Posion Orchid.


As always, thank you for reading. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please write them below. :)

15 comments:

  1. first of all, YAY for you reading george r. r. martin's series. they're all UH-MAZING. have you seen the show, too? I like it, but it doesnt follow the books as closely as i'd like...

    anyway, i'm really glad you swatched this. I use a lot of Too Faced's products but i've never tried their eye shadow, though i've thought about it. I'm interested in them now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Yes! I love the show, but of course the books are beeeetter!

      Your welcome~ I also have been curious about them, and I don't see them on blogs often.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely color! Kind of looks like a dupe for MAC's Azuki Bean (which came out in a dud of a quad -_-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's soo shimmery! I want that colour from MAC :)

    http://dear-diary.dawnelia.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it~ It is so lovely and it is available now :)

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous colour! I always wanted this eyeshadow but I could never find it here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww really? That sucks! I wonder if there is a cheaper dupe...

      Delete
  5. So shimmery! I love the packaging too, it's super pretty. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Right? Super cute. It is so small and compact!

      Delete
  6. Love how you used this on your eyes! Too bad its difficult to work with. I love the packaging though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning colour, shame about the payoff, but it would be something I woud wear at my age!! More subtle.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! Didn't think of it like that. Since I love pigmented shades.

      Delete
  8. ooooh! i like the mac one, need that

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment <3 I appreciate every single comment I receive ^_^